Best Shakshuka Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- optional: pinch of dried chili flakes
- 5 large eggs
- 1–2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- Heat up oil in a 10 inch cast-iron (ideal) or large skillet over med-high heat.
- Sauté onions for 3-5 mins or until translucent.
- Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add diced tomatoes and spices and bring to a boil then let simmer for
about 5 mins or until broth has thickened.
- Create 5 small “wells” for the eggs and crack eggs directly into wells. There should be 4 around the edges and 1 in the middle.
- Cover with a lid, if available or lightly with tin foil and let cook for about 10 mins for over-easy eggs or longer for more well done. Watch closely until desired egg consistency has been reached as each pan/stove top is different.
- Top with fresh parsley and black pepper. Optional to top with feta or goat’s cheese.
- Serve immediately with fresh bread or pita for dipping.
I like this recipe because it is an ideal healthy and tasty breakfast plus it is easy to make.